Our offices are closed Wednesday, July 24 for Utah's Pioneer Day.

Student Accommodation Requests, Complaints, Concerns, and Petitions

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA)

NC-SARA logo

BYU is an approved institutional participant of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance learning. Participation in SARA allows BYU to offer online courses to students in the U.S. jurisdictions that have adopted SARA, including 49 states and the District of Columbia. California, the only state that currently does not participate in SARA, does not regulate distance learning by out-of-state institutions if the out-of-state institution’s activities within the state do not constitute “physical presence.” Because BYU’s distance learning offerings do not create a physical presence in California, BYU is not subject to California’s state authorization requirements. As a result, BYU is authorized to offer distance learning courses to students in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Student Accommodation Requests, Complaints, Concerns, and Petitions

If you would like to request an accommodation, or if you have a complaint, concern, or petition, we want to help. Students taking BYU Independent Study courses or participating in BYU Online High School may file an accommodation request or a complaint, concern, or petition with the BYU Division of Continuing Education using the links below.

How to Request an Accommodation or File a Complaint, Concern, or Petition

Most questions, concerns, or complaints can be answered by our customer support department which you can contact by phone toll-free at 1-800-914-8931 or 801-422-2868, or by email at indstudy@byu.edu.  You may also contact us regarding specific issues:

  • To request an accommodation, go to the Accommodations and Accessibility policy page and submit an Accommodation Request Form. To revise or discuss existing accommodations, please email us at byuceaccommodations@byu.edu.
  • To file a complaint regarding course content, accessibility, value, applicability, transferability, process, or a report of cyberbullying among students in BYU Independent Study or BYU Online High School, or any other complaints, please fill out our complaints and feedback form.  Complaints may be filed anonymously or with contact information if you wish to be contacted regarding your feedback.
  • To petition a teacher decision, for petitions regarding grades or testing, or to request an exception to policy, please follow our petitions process.  You may also email us at is_petitions@byu.edu.
  • For any issues that you feel may be inadequately addressed through the above channels of support, please email us at ce-compliance@byu.edu.

What Happens When an Accommodation Request or a Complaint, Concern, or Petition is Filed

We will acknowledge receipt of your email or filing within 2 working days. All requests, complaints, and concerns are reviewed to determine the appropriate Continuing Education action and response. We may contact you for further information, or we may take steps to address your request or concern and then contact you.

Continuing Education has an appeal process you can use if you are not satisfied with our response to your accommodation request or to your complaint,  concern, or petition. You will be provided appeal information along with the initial resolution. If in any event you find appeal information inadequate, please email us at ce-compliance@byu.edu.

Complaints from Students in SARA Jurisdictions

Students residing in a SARA jurisdiction may file a complaint with the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE), Utah’s SARA portal agency, following the instructions outlined on USHE's website. Students also may file a complaint with their home jurisdiction’s SARA portal agency, using the current contact information available on the SARA States & Institutions webpage.

Complaints from Students in California

Students residing in California may file a complaint at the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education Complaints Webpage.

Accreditation Complaints

Students who wish to file a complaint with BYU’s accreditation organization may contact the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

Compliance Hotline

BYU has a campus-wide Compliance Hotline. Students are encouraged to use the Compliance Hotline to submit reports of noncompliance with institution policy or procedure, or with federal, state, or local laws or regulations.

View more BYU Independent Study policies.

© 2024 All rights reserved.  |  Provo, Utah USA
Privacy Notice | Cookie Preferences