Our offices will be closed Monday, May 29 for Memorial Day—reopening on Tuesday, May 30. Business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time).
READ 049 | High School Course
This course is all about giving students the tools to become better readers and more appreciative of good books; this will help them understand the joy that comes from recreational reading. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “’Tis the good reader that makes the good book.” Students will learn reading strategies that will help them not only become better readers but also enjoy reading even more.
Students are required to read six novels for this course. These novels should add up to a combined minimum of 1,500 pages of text.
1. Setting and Leads: Entering the Story's World
2. Characterization and Point of View: Who are you and Why are you in my Story?
3. Conflict: What's the Problem Here?
4. Comprehension: Wait! What Do I Do If I Don't Get it?
5. Plot: What makes a Story Exciting?
6. Inferences: Gathering Clues from a Story
7. Theme: The Big Picture